Search This Blog

Monday, January 5, 2009

First "Interactive" Post: Fallout 3



This past week I bought Fallout 3.  A game about post-apocalyptic Washington DC where you run around as a character that you design and progress through the game.  In the game you can choose what type of life your character leads and how you interact with people affects how your character is viewed by other people in the game.  You can choose to be good or evil and progress through as a hero do-gooder or as the super villain.  I really had a lot of fun playing through the game as an evil guy, but the interactive part that really stood out to me was how depending on your stats and choices you can build a play style as well as a reputation.  For example my character has a high sneak and small guns skill so we have an ideal sniper and my gameplay reflects that.  I have to sneak around and catch enemies off guard in order to kill them. however my friends character has a high big guns stat and also a large medicine skill so he can just run in with a mini-gun throwing 5mm rounds all over the place.  If i were to try that i would just die, and similarly if he tried to sneak around and shoot long range he would constantly miss.

1 comment:

Miles Inada said...

I'm looking forward to checking out Fallout 3. Skill building trees are an interesting way to increase interactivity. I always feel creeped out choosing skills and assigning stat points before I have a sense of what my style will be. People discussing best builds and strategies out of game seems to be a big part of interactivity as well